The prospect of driving a new car that you have never driven before will be quite a scary experience, and the most common mistake you will make is using the wrong lever for signal lights and windshield wipers. Therefore, before driving your newly rented car, the first thing you will need to do is familiarizing with the levers and buttons on the driver’s side. If you rent a car, you must know all the things that you need to do to use the car efficiently. In this article, you can find some of the things that you need to check before starting a journey with a rented car.
1. Check for scratches and dents before you start the engine of the car. It would be disastrous if you need to pay extra for your car for something that you did not do.
2. Start the car’s engine and let it run for a while. This is to check whether the engine is in good condition and make sure that there are no unusual noises coming out from it. Find a replacement from the car rental company if you feel that the car is not suitable for driving.
3. Check whether the heat or air-conditioning is working perfectly or not. You would not want to be freezing inside a car when you are driving to cold places.
4. Check the signals and the wipers and remember on which side they are placed on the car. It would be embarrassing if you use the wipers when you actually want to use the signals. This can also endanger other road users around you if you make this silly mistake.
5. Check the brakes and the acceleration pedal. Familiarize with how they feel at your feet, and make sure that they are functioning the way it should. This is a really important step because failure to brake and accelerate your car properly can be fatal to your life.
6. Check the fuel latch. Know where they are placed so that you can save your embarrassment when you want to fill gas into your car at the fuel station. It is easier if you ask where it is placed from the car rental representative.
After checking all these things, you can be sure that the car will be a great car for your travel. Just take care of your safety on the road, drive and observe the speed limit, and follow all the road signs and rules.